The biggest risk (this new year) is not taking one.
Ahhh, It’s that time once again. A new year.
“New Year! New Possibilities!” Blah, Blah, Blah. So cliché. Me, I’d rather look back on 2011 and reflect on the possibilities and opportunities I didn’t take. For some reason I opted out on several worthwhile opportunities. So this year I am going back (a big “no-no” I know) to reclaim them.
I’ll just be honest; I’m not a risk taker. Reason: I fear failure. So to avoid the risk of failure I play it safe. I play it safe in all areas of my life: career, relationships, spiritual life, fashion, you name it – I play it safe. Well no more.
The only resolution I made for 2012 was to leave all excuses behind, fear of failure being the dominant one. With excuses behind me, I am now embarking on the risks that I have always wanted to take.
One of my favorite quotes is from Mark Twain: “Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.” Which is a more sophisticated way of saying that the only way to conquer your fears are to face them.
So here it is:
My Top 10 List of Fears/Risks I’m Conquering in the New Year:
10. Cut up my Macy’s card. Ok, I’ve actually already cut it up, but I still use it. Don’t judge me. So I’m going a step further and canceling my account.
9. Learn to cook. That’s right; I can’t cook. Wanna fight about it?
8. Cut my hair. Yeah, that’s not happening. I’ll dye it instead. Anyone know how to give me the Stacey Dash “Single Ladies” look?
7. Learn to shoot a firearm. You never know when the zombie apocalypse might hit.
6. Become a regular volunteer/employee at a local homeless shelter. I’ve known for a while now that my passion is serving the homeless; however, I have yet to do anything about it.
5. Walk the beach in a bikini WITHOUT a cover-up. *She wore an itsy, bitsy, teenie, weenie yellow polka-dot bikini…
4. Follow my own (yes, I know that was redundant) career aspirations, not those of my family, friends, or peers. This includes finishing my play and publishing a certain Dr. Seuss spoof (Chantavia, that was for you. Lol).
3. No sex for a year. Yeah, I said it. I’ve held out that long before; I can hold out again. As my pastor said New Year’s Eve, “We are too beautiful to settle for someone who is not our husband.” I needed to be reminded of that.
2. Love like I’ve never been hurt. This means leaving all my baggage, hang-ups, etc. at the door. Easier said than done but not impossible.
1. Give God my all. Yeah I give, serve, and do a lot but I know that I could do more. And I know that He has called me to do so much more. So, time to step it up and “live a life worthy of the calling I have received” (Ephesians 4: 1).
Whew! That’s my Top 10. What’s yours?
Until next time,
*Do you like the blog? I know you do! So Subscribe by clicking the “Follow” tab. 🙂